Cherry has been getting into cooking shows lately and has now become quite the mini Master Chef! This week, while down at our holiday house, we made coconut macaroons. It’s such a simple recipe, even a 4-year-old can make them! Plus, they’re gluten free.
Here’s Cherry’s How To Make Coconut Macaroons YouTube clip
- 250 grams shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1 can condensed milk (395 mil)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160°
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut, condensed milk and vanilla extract
- Beat the egg whites and salt in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form
- Gradually and gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture
- Scoop into small golf balls onto a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until crunchy and golden on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside.
- Allow to rest on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool
We made another batch the next day with desiccated coconut and our macaroons turned out completely differently! They held their shape better and we preferred the texture to our first batch. You could also garnish them with a candied cherry on top or blanched almonds before you pop them in the oven. You could even dip 1/2 the cooked and cooled macaroons in melted chocolate! Cooking times will vary depending on your oven, size of your macaroons and also, the type of coconut you use. Keep an eye on your macaroons after 25 minutes is up. They may need a little longer if they’re still pale white.
Our second batch made with desiccated coconut rather than shredded. We liked these better!